Raspberry and lemon friands
These little berry studded friands are bursting with flavour. Marrying the richness of almond meal and the tartness of lemon and raspberry. They are a beautiful sweet to enjoy at morning or afternoon tea. They also happen to freeze unbelievably well. Needing a 30 second burst to come back to to moist, almost freshly baked life.
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 1 cup (132g) icing sugar, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup (95g) gluten-free plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 5 eggwhites
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 160C. Sift the almond meal, icing sugar, baking powder and flour into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until foamy but before reaching firm peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the almond meal mixture with a large spoon.
- Add the lemon zest to the bowl then pour the melted butter into the batter and whisk until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into lightly greased friand tins or muffin tins.
- Dot with the frozen raspberries and bake for 20–25 minutes or until the friands are golden and cooked through.
- Using a butter knife, loosen the edges and remove the friands from the tins.
- Let them cool on a wire rack before dusting with icing sugar and serving.
Enjoy what you made 😀