This is about as healthy as it gets without making a chocolate cake out of beetroot or black beans. It’s the chocolate cake I bake to celebrate, drizzled in grape fruit glaze. It’s also the cake I bake when I need something warm and comforting, served with rich vanilla ice-cream. This chocolate cake is a reliable friend for all seasons of life. Using oil instead of butter makes this a wonderfully rich and moist dairy free chocolate cake. It’s decadent and earthy without being cloyingly sweet.
THE CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- 150 ml regular olive oil (plus more for greasing)
- 50 grams good-quality cocoa powder (sifted)
- 125 ml hot espresso
- 2 teaspoons best vanilla extract
- 150 grams ground almonds
- 125g plain gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150 grams brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
THE GRAPEFRUIT GLAZE:
- 280g (1 3/4 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) ruby grapefruit juice
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Grease and like a 23 cm spring form tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Measure and sift the cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in the freshly brewed espresso until you have a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and set aside to cool a little.
- In another bowl, combine the ground almonds and flour with the bicarbonate of soda a pinch of salt.
- Put the sugar, olive oil and eggs into the bowl of a standing mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk until you have a pale, thickened cream. This will take roughly 3 minutes.
- Turn the speed to low and pour in the cocoa and espresso mixture, beating as you go.
- Once you’ve scraped in the last of the cocoa, gradually add in the ground almond and flour mixture to the bowl.
- Scrape down the side and pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the sides are set with a skewer coming out clean, with just a couple of crumbs.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, still in its tin, and then ease the sides of the cake with a small metal spatula and spring it out of the tin.
- Leave to cool completely and then liberally coat with the ruby grapefruit glaze.
- Whisk the icing sugar and grapefruit juice together in a small bowl.
Enjoy what you made 😀