Tall, fluffy pancakes make the best breakfast, especially when they’re liberally drizzled with maple syrup. Make them extra special with a berry relish and edible flowers.
Write a review
For the berry relish
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the maple butter
- 80g butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the pancakes
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 lemons, rinds finely grated
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, to serve
- 1/4 cup pistachios, to serve
- Edible flowers, to serve
- To make the berry relish, combine the cornstarch with a tablespoon of water and set aside. Place berries, sugar and maple syrup in a saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 3 minutes until berries have softened. Slowly add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring continuously until compote is thick and glossy, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the maple butter, place the butter and maple syrup in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the pancakes, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon rind and vanilla seeds in a bowl. Whisk egg yolks, maple syrup and buttermilk until combined, add to flour mixture and mix until smooth. In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to whisk egg whites and a pinch of salt until soft peaks form, and then fold through flour mixture.
- To cook the pancakes, heat a lightly greased large non-stick frying pan over low heat. Cook 1/3 of a cup of the mixture, in batches, for 3-4 minutes each side or until puffed and golden.
- Serve warm hotcakes with berry relish, a dollop of maple butter, coconut flakes, crushed pistachios and edible flowers.
- Rediscover the joy of cooking with our gluten free all purpose flour.
The Gluten Free Table https://theglutenfreetable.com.au/